5 Tips for a Sustainable Summer
Approximately 55% of 220 million tons of waste generate each year in the United States ends up in one of the over 3,500 landfills. As we get into the swing of summer it is a good time to start implementing ways to have a more sustainable summer. We want to share with you a few easy steps to incorporate the three R’s, Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle into your summer!
1. Reusable Products
- Reusable bags and containers. Bring these items with you when you shop and travel. We recommend using bags made from recyclable material. Many stores offer this alternative and have reusable bags for sale at the checkout counter.
- Use glassware for food storage.
- Reusable water bottles, instead of single use bottled water, also help to cut back on the amount of plastics used.
These are just a few of many ways to help reduce waste and prevent litter.
2. Conserve Water
- Store drinking water in the refrigerator. This will help to cut back on running water while waiting for tap water to cool.
- Don’t let water run while brushing your teeth or shaving. This can help to conserve up to 8 gallons of water per day.
- Don’t over water your lawn during the summer. Rain also helps to water your grass and can eliminate the need to water frequently.
- For more water saving tips for your home, at the office and general tips visit here. Every drop you save helps!
3. Participate in a Clean-up Event
4. Join a community garden or start your own!
5. Conserve Energy
- During the summer keep blinds closed on the side of the house that receives the most sun. This will help to keep your home cooler.
- Unplug! Turn off all lights and unplug all appliances not in use.
- Use appliances with the energy star seal of approval. This can help to save up to 30% on electric bills and they are up to 30% more efficient!
Want more tips on sustainability, waste reduction and litter prevention visit our blog at keepfloridabeautiful.org for more inspiring ideas this summer!