Tips for a Green Holiday Season
Unfortunately, this time of year is also accompanied by an increase in waste. Packaging from our Black Friday finds, gift bags, single-use decorations, wrapping paper and food waste pile up in garbage bins as households generate an average of 25% more trash than usual.
The good news is that there are plenty of simple things we can do to be less wasteful and more sustainable during the holidays – and we can still eat, drink and be merry along the way!
Hosting a party?
• Send paperless invitations online
• Opt for decorations, dishes and utensils that are eco-friendly and/or reusable
• Provide ample trash receptacles and recycling bins
• Encourage guests to carpool
Planning a family dinner?
• Bring your reusable bags when grocery shopping
• Shop for local ingredients
• Compost food scraps
• Create new recipes from leftovers or send them home in reusable containers
• Consider homemade gifts, plants or plan an experience
• Look for plastic-free packaging
• Support local businesses and shop sustainable brands
• Give your gift in a jar, basket, tin or tote bag (something reusable)
• Opt for a real Christmas tree (and then recycle it)
• Swap to energy efficient lights for decorating
• Send holiday cards made from post-consumer recycled content
• Buy less!