Keep Florida Beautiful and the KAB Florida affiliates have a critical role in building an environmentally literate society: a society that not only demonstrates environmental stewardship, but understands why it is important.
There are different types of environmental education, various locations where it can be conducted and a range of audiences that can be addressed. Service orientated cleanups and local stewardship projects including gardens and beautification projects engage youth and adults through action. These programs provide organized opportunities for civic engagement, help students secure volunteer hours for Bright Futures Scholarships, and promote physical activity outdoors.
Keep Florida Beautiful also encourages participation in a variety of school programs including recycling competition and learning basic fundamentals. Keep America Beautiful’s “Waste in Place” K-6 curriculum is one tool for teaching those fundamentals such as waste reduction, waste management and stewardship.
YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your Help, Beautiful Results
You can make a real difference through your daily actions and choices. With the support of citizens and companies, we have made significant progress in community improvement. Your contribution helps keep Florida beautiful now and for generations to come.
RESOURCES FOR EDUCATORS
The websites listed below focus on resources available to educators to enrich their coursework with a variety of engaging activities, hands-on projects, and friendly competitions for students of all ages.
Keep America Beautiful Education Programs
US Environmental Protection Agency Pages
Resources and Curriculum
- Center for Green Schools
- Earth Day/Environmental Education Week
- Eco Schools USA
- Enviroscapes – Hands-on Products for Environmental Education
- Green Apple Day of Service
- Green Education Foundation
- Green Ribbon Schools
- Green Strides – Tools to Green your School
- Learning Lab – US Green Building Council
- Martin Luther King Day of Service
- NAAEE – North American Association for Environmental Education
- NEEF – National Environmental Education Foundation
- Nature Explore
- Project Learning Tree
- Recycle Often – Recycle Right Resources Page
- Scholastic: Earth Day and the Environment: Everything you Need
- Nine Tips for Recycling in Schools (PDF, 152 KB)
- KAB Recycling at Work Fact Sheet (PDF, 740 KB)
- KAB Research to Improve Recycling in the Workplace (PDF, 4.21 MB)
- Plastic Recycling Update – Feb. 2016: Getting the Message (PDF, 5.84 MB)
- Keep America Beautiful’s Planning for Success: Ten Tips for Designing Public Space’s Recycling Programs Overview (PDF, 1.19 MB)
Litter Prevention Education
- Graffiti Prevention: Tips for Homeowners (PDF, 783.36 KB)
- Graffiti Prevention: Tips for Businesses (PDF, 261.31 KB)
- Graffiti Prevention: Creating a Community Mural (PDF, 268.4 KB)
State of Florida Resources
You can make a real difference through your daily actions and choices. With the support of citizens and companies, we have made significant progress in community improvement. Your contribution helps keep Florida beautiful now and for generations to come. Give some green to support Florida’s green movement.
“Opportunities & Resources For Environmental Education in Florida,” Keep Florida Beautiful. Presented September 3, 2015. (PDF, 4.8 MB)
You Can Make A Difference
Find Your Affiliate
Engage in the beautification of your community.
Get The Checklist
Download our recycling checklist and stay informed.
Help us Keep Florida Beautiful.